What is a credit card?
A credit card is a tool that consumers use to purchase products or avail of services without using cash. It’s relatively safe
and can be used as an effective way to track your expenses.
We use credit cards to meet a wide range of needs: we swipe them for everyday transactions (e.g. medicines, groceries, gasoline)
and for other purchases that reflect our unique lifestyle.
- Live within your means. This basic tip is your first step to financial freedom. Staying within your credit
limit keeps overlimit fees at bay. What’s more, merchants can smoothly process your transactions
What can I do to obtain credit?
Many think it’s just a matter of filling out an application form. But there’s more to obtaining credit than that. To make sure
that we continue to offer the best to our clients, credit card companies evaluate credit card applications seriously.
Aside from the expected verification to screen fraudulent applications and misrepresentations, credit card companies check if
card applicants have a history of poor payment behavior with other financial institutions.
- Always pay all your credit card bills on time to maintain your good credit rating.
- Your chances of obtaining a credit card can improve if you have a long-standing relationship with any of the Metrobank branches nationwide.
How can I better monitor my credit card transactions?
A "Statement of Account" (SOA) is a summary of all your credit card transactions within a specified cut-off. Your SOA is generated every month and is delivered to your designated billing address at least a week before your due date.
Too busy to wait for your SOA to arrive in the mail? MSOA and MBdirect are free facilities available to our valued cardholders, allowing you to view and manage your credit card transactions electronically.
Enroll in MSOA
Spend most of your time online checking emails? Enroll your credit card to MSOA and have your electronic SOA sent straight to your preferred email address. Call 8-700-700 today to apply. All you need is a valid email address!
Enroll in MBdirect
Maintain a bank account with Metrobank and have a Metrobank credit card? Now you can view both your SOA and your bank account details online through MBdirect. Enroll your credit card by visiting your preferred Metrobank branch today.
- Always keep your transaction slips for reference to help you recognize and validate transactions posted in your SOA.
- Know your cut-off date to effectively manage posting of your credit card transactions.
How can I pay for my credit card?
There are many convenient ways of paying for your credit card. If you have a Metrobank account, you may enroll in the free
Auto-Debit Arrangement or avail of the complimentary Metrobank Direct service. You may also pay using any ATM in the Philippines,
or over the counter at any Metrobank or PS Bank nationwide. Please pay days ahead if you wish to settle using a check.
For inquiries, email email@example.com.
When is the best time to settle my credit card dues?
To avoid late payment fees and other charges, credit card payments should be made on or before your due date. If your Payment Due Date falls on a holiday or weekend, please pay on or before the last banking day of your due date.
Maximize the convenience of having multiple payment options. Pay your Metrobank Card bill through any of these channels:
Cash & Check Payments
- MCC Paybox (1:30PM cut off)
- SM Store, SM Hypermarket, SM Supermarket, Savemore and SM Business Services
- Robinsons Department Store Business Center
- ADA (Automatic Debit Arrangement) through a Metrobank account
* Cebuana Lhuillier charges Php5.00 transaction fee for Metrobank credit card payment
Be aware of the posting of your payments. Note that posting of your credit card payments depends on payment type (e.g cash, local check, or regional check).
What are the guidelines for paying in check?
Payment should be made 3 days earlier for local checks and 4 days in advance for regional checks. Please consider the check clearing cut-off time of the payment center.
When paying your credit card in check, remember to indicate the following:
- Payee - payable to "Metrobank Card Corporation."
- Card number and contact number at the back of your check
- Amount payable in figures
- Amount payable in words
- Signature of the Drawer/s
Make sure that the check you issued has no erasures and corrections. Otherwise, it will not be accepted for payment, or will be rejected for clearing. Effective January 4, 2016, all issued checks with erasure will no longer be accepted for receipt and clearing by banks per the updated Clearing House Rules and Regulations of the Philippine Clearing House Corporation dated August 24, 2015.
Can I get cash using my credit card?
Yes. Sometimes, you need cash to whip up a big event. Whether you need cash for tuition fees, pocket money for a trip, or even
plumbing work at home, you can get cash instantly. Take note, however, that the amount you request should be within your credit
- Avail of Cash2Go. You may apply over the counter or by calling 8-700-700. This cash installment plan gives you
a wide range of options in terms of tenors and interest rates.
Can I pay for my utility bills using my credit card?
Yes. With so many bills you need to pay every month, Bills2Pay is the simplest time saver. You can forget about lining up to
pay for all your utilities (including electricity) and telephone bills. Memorizing multiple due dates can be a thing of the past.
- Enroll your utility bills in Bills2Pay. You can spend less time falling in line and have more time for the activities that truly matter to you.
What fees are charged by maintaining a credit card?
Yes. Metrobank cards are subject to Annual Membership Fees. The fees are billed to the account a month from the anniversary date of the credit card account.
e.g. Your card was approved on January 1, 2012 and your account’s statement cut-off is every 10th of the month. The following year, your annual membership fee will be billed on your February 10, 2013 statement cut-off.
Click here to know the corresponding annual fees per Metrobank Card product type.
Do credit cards have any hidden charges?
No. The terms and conditions that come with your credit card lists down the charges that may apply to your account. Most
cardholders like you inquire about Finance Charges or Interest (the amount charged to your account when you decide not to pay the
full amount reflected in your billing statement) and Overlimit Fees (which are charged to your account when your transaction goes
over your available credit limit)
- Always pay in full and on time.
- You can check your balance, cut off and due dates through Metrobank Card Corporation’s Text service.
This free paperless feature saves lots of trees!
- You can apply for M Lite MasterCard, the credit card that charges one of the lowest interest rates in the
Can I pay in installment at no interest?
Yes. The solution you are looking for is 0% installment. With this option, you can bring home your purchase and pay for it in
up to 12 months at no interest whatsoever.
- You can relax when you see the 0% Installment logo at your favorite shop. Metrobank Card Corporation’s
partners - over hundreds of merchant establishments around the country – offer this feature.
Promotional call, collection call, and security alert call: what’s the difference?
As part of our commitment to serve you better, you may from time to time receive several calls to keep you informed about our products and services, and to ensure that your accounts remain secure.
Security Alert Calls
From time to time, you may receive calls confirming and validating a particular transaction you have made. Don’t worry. This is a security measure to prevent any unauthorized transactions.
Promotional calls are conducted by our Telesales agents for select cardholders to know more about our exclusive programs and offers. These sales offers are designed to fit your busy lifestyle and varying financial requirements.
Collections calls are made to remind you of payment-related concerns. These are meant to provide you with information in case you missed or overlooked your due dates. That way, you can continue to enjoy using your credit card.
- Our Telesales Team will not ask you to surrender your existing credit cards or ask monetary compensation for facilitating processing of product and services. Beware of modus operandi for Credit Card Fraud.
- Sometimes, our Fraud Management Unit may arrange to have your credit card account replaced, depending on levels of risk identified by our system which may lead to unauthorized transactions.
- Notify us of changes in your contact information by calling our Customer Service hotline8-700-700.
Can I use my credit card overseas?
MasterCard and Visa cards are accepted in over 40 million establishments worldwide. Look for the logo. Inform us of your travel plans to ensure that the card transactions made within and outside the country are valid and authorized by you. Call our customer service hotline prior to your departure so we can assist you in all your travel-related card transaction inquiries. Please provide us with your travel date and destination for our reference and monitoring.
How are foreign currency transactions billed in my credit card?
MCC issues credit cards in two currencies – Peso and Dollar cards. For Peso Cards, transactions are billed in Philippine pesos. For Dollar Cards, transactions are billed in US Dollars. Foreign exchange rate conversion depends on the prevailing rates of MasterCard and Visa on the day the transaction is posted to the account.
Third Currency Conversion Rate
All charges, advances or amounts in currencies other than Philippine Peso (PHP) shall be converted to PHP based on MasterCard’s / VISA’s currency conversion rate at the time of posting and charged MAsterCard’s / VISA’s assessment fee plus 2.50% processing fee, the rate of which may be adjusted from time to time. The assessment fee shall likewise apply to transactions involving foreign currencies converted to PHP at point of sale, whether executed in the Philippines, abroad or online. Service fees may also be charged to cover costs incurred to discharge the amount(s) due MasterCard / VISA and / or the acquiring bank and / or foreign merchant affiliates.